Saturday, July 6, 2013

Soy Free Crescent Rolls

Hello All.  Sorry it has been so long since I've posted.  Life has gotten ahead of me, but I have many neat things to blog about in my quest for soy free goodness with cooking.  So, you can find many recipes online for soy free crescent rolls.  I have been searching for something comparable to the pillsbury brand that we used to eat.  Of course it has soy so there will be no buying it from the store.  Anyways, I have learned that in most cases when looking for a recipe, I don't necessarily include soy free in my online search.  I have actually just started looking for general recipes and then making the substitutions where needed for things like egg, onion, and vegetable oil.  I don't use any vegetable(soybean) oil in my cooking.  I only use canola or olive oil, depending on the recipe.  Anywho, I found the following recipe:

http://healthfulmama.com/2011/12/homemade-crescent-rolls-dairy-free-too/

which calls for the following ingredients:

Makes approx. 32 rolls

3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 pkg active dry yeast
1/3 cup water, warm
3/4 cup soy milk, room temperature
1 1/2 tbsp honey
2 eggs
1 tsp sea salt
4 tbsp butter or Earth Balance, softened

For the inside:4 or 5 tbsp butter or Earth Balance, softened

Here are the ingredients I used:
Makes approx. 32 rolls

3 1/2 cups bread flour (Make sure you use bread flour, NOT all-purpose flour)
1 pkg active dry yeast
1/3 cup water, warm
3/4 cup soy milk, room temperature (I just used regular 1% milk)
1 1/2 tbsp honey
2 eggs (I used 1/2 cup of buttermilk and a teaspoon of double action baking powder)
1 tsp sea salt
4 tbsp butter or Earth Balance, softened ( I used Land of Lakes unsalted butter.)

For the inside:4 or 5 tbsp butter or Earth Balance, softened  (I used Land of Lakes unsalted butter)

From there, I followed the instructions.  I will say that you need to make sure you use softened butter.  Otherwise, the dough just doesn't come out right.

1. Mix bread flour with salt. Dissolve the fresh yeast in the warm water with the honey and add to the flour mixture. I added a little more honey since I wanted a little extra sweetness.  Add buttermilk/baking powder and milk, mix everything together. Add the butter and knead the dough until the dough is smooth and soft. Cover with a dampened dish towel and let it rise for about 1 hour in a warm area, until doubled in size.
2.Punch down the dough and divide into two equal parts. Roll them into balls. On a floured surface flatten each part into a large circle (about 16″), using a rolling pin. With the back of a spoon (or your fingers), spread about 2 tbsp of very soft butter onto the dough. Using a pastry wheel or pizza cutter, cut the circle into 16 triangles.
3.Start rolling each triangle into crescents, starting from the wide edge of the triangle. Once rolled, tuck the tip under the roll and place on a greased baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the triangles. Let them rise for about 20 minutes. Melt additional 1 1/2 tbsp butter and brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter, if desired.
4.Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake for 15-18 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Let them cool on a wire rack few minutes before serving.  If you want to save some for later, you can store them in a freezer zip lock bag to keep in the fridge or freezer.  I took a quick snapshot of what the cresecent rolls looked like coming out of the oven.  These were truly delicious and light.  If you keep them in the freezer, then you can defrost them for about 10 seconds in the microwave.  Then use the toast setting on your toaster oven to cook them up.  If you have them in the fridge, then just toast them in the toaster oven...no need to defrost.


No comments:

Post a Comment