Saturday, July 6, 2013

Soy Free Donuts .... YES INDEED!!!!!

Last week, I decided to look into making soy free donuts since Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts are not good soy free options for us.  I then found a babycakes donut maker on Amazon for 19.99 with free shipping using my Prime Membership.  It came with a cooling rack and fork tool.  It also came with some Recipes.  So far, I have only tried the Sour Cream Donuts recipe, which turned out really well.  My girls are hooked.  We haven't tried making chocolate covered donuts or powdered, but that is next :).  The girls really really love the donuts.  It made me so happy to see my younger soy sensitive daughter eating donuts with such an enjoyable smile.  We ended up making two batches. 

I mentioned in an earlier post that I have found it easier and more delicious to take regular recipes and just make the substitutions ad hoc.  So for the Sour Cream Donuts, it calls for:

Ingredients:

Makes about 2 dozen donuts

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp double action baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup applesauce and 1/2 tsp double action baking powder (substitute for 1 egg)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
1. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. In separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.  Using a mixer on medium speed, blend until smooth.
3. Fill each cooking reservoir in the baby cakes donut maker with about 2 Tbsp of batter.
4.  Bake abou 4 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the donut comes out clean.

Use the fork to transfer the donuts from the donut maker to the cooling rack.



NOTE:  If you want to make powdered donuts, then you need to fill a brown paper lunch bag with powdered sugar.  While the donuts are hot off the press, go ahead and put the donuts in the bag and shake to coat them with the powdered sugar.

I will blog again when I have done this along with melting chocolate to make chocolate covered donuts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment