Friday, February 8, 2013

Substitute for soy sauce and onion SOLVED

To start off, my little one has eczema which affects a vast amount of people.  Her case is not severe but any degree of eczema is enough to concern most mamas.  So I took her in for allergy testing and found out that soy and onions are definite culprits that cause her eczema to flare.  So how did I take this news? Well let's see.  I cook mostly Korean food where in most of the recipes, soy sauce is a key ingredient.  And I also thought about the elimination of tofu as well.  I thought about how I was pretty much feeding her everything that her body is not processing well and ultimately, making her itch or breakout from snacks to meals.

So that is the background and without further delay, this is what I have discovered for substituting soy sauce using balsamic vinegar and worcheshire sauce.  Since my daughter has the onion sensitivity, I have also been making my own worcheshire sauce which is key to the soy sauce substitution.  I have provided my recipe for my homemade worcheshire sauce.  However, if you are able to buy off the shelf worcheshire sauce, then feel free to use that.

Otherwise, here is what I mix up for my homemade worcheshire sauce. This will last me a good while without going bad.  I have just been keeping the bottle in my fridge.

Easy Homemade Worcestershire Sauce Recipe

(makes 3/4 cup)
The Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup apple cider
  • 2 tablespoons Fish sauce with no MSG
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon molasses
  • juice of one lime
  • 1/2 tsp ground clove
  • 1/4 tsp garlic
  • 1/4 tsp of chili powder
The How-To
Mix all ingredients together in a blender, or shake thoroughly in a dressing bottle!
That’s it.



I use trader Jose's balsamic vinegar of Modena.  I love the bottle and the taste is perfect for this purpose. 


If you recipe calls for a 1 tablespoons of soy sauce, just get your tablespoon out and pour a little more than 3/4 balsamic vinegar and then for the remaining tablespoon, fill with worcheshire sauce.

That's it.  I am not kidding.  I can't tell you how happy I have been to discover this and feed my children all the recipes that we had eaten before from stir frys, galbee, galbee jeem, fish marinades, and so forth.  Over the holidays, I made some of my recipes for my sisters, nephew, brother-in-law, and dad.  They couldn't believe I didn't use soy sauce.

As for onions, I simply just use red bell pepper instead of the onions and it makes for a wonderful substitute.

Hope this helps those who are eliminating or have to eliminate soy from their diet.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that Mary. No allergy sufferes in our house, but it is always good to know how to make home made additives without any bad additives.   

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. During this process, I have begun to make my own frosting, ketchup, and even cinnamon rolls. I get so annoyed with all these hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated products along with all these other ingredients that I am completely unfamiliar with.

      Delete